Sunday, January 22, 2012

Easy, Cheesy, Broccoli & Rice Casserole

Ok..so I'm not a huge fan of broccoli.  However, I know I need to eat it because it's healthy. When I put it in this recipe, I forget I am eating broccoli.  It's THAT good!  Cheesy and delicious, this is a must try.

~You Will Need

~ 4 TBL butter
~4 cloves garlic, minced
~1/4 cup flour
~2 cups of milk
~1 cup rice, cooked
~2 cups broccoli florets
~2 + 1/2 cups grated (fat-free) cheddar cheese
~1/3 cup grated pepper jack cheese
~1  TBL dijon mustard
~1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
~2 tsp Tony's seasoning
~1/4 tsp of salt and pepper


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.   Melt butter in a large pan, over low heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute).  Whisk in flour and cook 3-4 minutes (it will clump up, make sure to stir all of it)  Slowly add in milk and dijon mustard bringing to a simmer for 4 minutes.  Add cheddar and pepper jack cheese.  Stir until most of cheese is melted....







Finally, stir in rice and broccoli.  Pour into a greased baking dish and sprinkle reserved cheddar on top....


Bake for 30 minutes, until lightly golden and bubbly on top.


YUM!

**Side Note** - I have been cooking with Smart Balance butter lately. You can't event taste the difference.  However, if I'm baking, I do have to use regular butter because it willl not turn out right if I use a lighter butter*

No comments:

Post a Comment