Friday, October 7, 2011

Bad Sushi Experience..Beware!

I am going to do something I don't normally do...talk about a recent bad sushi experience.  I think everyone should know what a bad sushi roll tastes like and not just try to drown the taste out with extra soy sauce. The restaurant (which will remain nameless, they may have just had an off day) I went to today was probably one of the worst spicy tuna rolls I've ever had.  I KNOW what a good spicy tuna roll tastes like.  I've been eating sushi since I was 12(I'm now 27).  Only sushi roll I have ever gotten is a spicy tuna roll.  This sushi I had today was just awful.  The rice was warm and gooey and the fish just didn't taste right.  I nearly gagged when I tried to eat it.  My point in telling this is if you aren't an experienced sushi eater, you will know what a bad roll vs a good roll tastes like. 

A good Spicy Tuna sushi roll:

1) Is cold!  A spicy tuna roll should be cold/cool temperature wise.  It shouldn't be hot/warm.  Nothing is nastier than eating a spicy tuna roll and it's warm. (which is the experience I had today)

2) You should look forward to your next bite...
     I know this sounds pretty basic, but with sushi it's even more true.  If it's bad fish, you can usually taste it  on your first bite...don't make yourself eat it...spit it out!

3) NO TEMPURA in a spicy tuna roll!  I went to a sushi place once and they had tempura mixed in with the tuna mixture.  It was crunchy and gross.  Always make sure they don't put this in there..I always ask to be sure.  Of course if you like this sort of thing...it's totally up to you.


~My favorite sushi restaurants I have tried so far..I'm sure I'll try many, many more places!~


LITTLE KATANA SUSHI BAR in the Dallas Galleria - the most fabulous sushi I have ever had.  Before you start thinking because it's in a mall it's gross..think again!  It's seriously amazing. 

BLUE FISH SUSHI, Dallas, TX - So yummy!

RA SUSHI BAR, Houston, TX - Expensive but EXCELLENT!

NORWEGIAN CRUISE SHIP "Pride of America" (East Meets West Restaurant) - Our cruise we went on in Hawaii this summer.  They had AMAZING sushi on this ship!

SUSHIKO, Shreveport, LA

SUSHI GEN, Shreveport, LA

No comments:

Post a Comment