Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Caroline's Cuisine: Valentine's Day

My husband and I thought about going out for dinner on Valentine's Day. Then I realized all restaurants will be packed and it would mean so much more if I went over and beyond for a delicious meal, cooked in our kitchen.  Well, might I say, he was overly impressed!!  To start off, I have never cooked with lobster in my life.  I was so scared - mainly because they aren't cheap and I didn't want to mess it up.  Well, this just goes to show you, it's fun to take some risks with cooking - because it turned out amazing!  I found a special at the store - a filet mignon and lobster tail.  I just had to get it!  Well, the hardest part of this was peeling the lobster tail...Very difficult. I somehow managed to do it!

Valentine's Day Menu: 

Appetizer - Wedge salad with chives
Entree - Surf & Turf - Lobster with garlic butter and filet mignon
Side - Sauteed mushrooms with garlic and chive sauce

LOBSTER TAIL

I did this the easiest way - don't let this scare you.  The lady at the grocery store told me exactly what to do.


~1 uncooked lobster tail
~a few pinches of salt

Get a large pot and fill with water - enough to cover the tail.  Bring to a boil and place lobster in water.  Sprinkle salt and boil 15 minutes.  When tail is done, it will turn red and will curl up.  Remove from water and cut down the back of the tail to open up and get to the meat

GARLIC BUTTER (for dipping lobster meat)

This is very simple.  Just get however much butter you want, a few tablespoons and put a little minced garlic and salt in.  Microwave, covered, in 10 - 15 second intervals stirring after each. 




WEDGE SALAD

Get a head of lettuce and cut off the end.  Then cut in quarters and top with your favorite dressing!


FILET MIGNON

This was also very easy.  Just season with salt and pepper.  Get a large, ovenproof skillet and put a few tablespoons of olive oil.  Cook both sides for about 3 minutes.  Then transfer the pan to oven preheated to 375.  Cook 6-8 minutes.  Let sit for about 10 minutes before cutting into it.   I like mine medium rare.

These are the temperatures your thermometer should read depending on how you want it cooked:

Rare - 125 degrees
Medium Rare - 130 degrees
Medium - 140
Medium Well - 150
Well Done - 160


Sauteed Mushrooms

~mushrooms, washed and chopped
~1/2 cup chicken broth
~3 TBL butter
~3 TBL chives, chopped
~2 cloves garlic
~salt and pepper

Cook mushrooms for about 10 minutes until tender.


No comments:

Post a Comment